Tuesday 17 March 2015

Spring time Simplicity

It was love at first sight, the minute I clapped eyes on this....what would you call it  a dress.. tunic? anyhow, I just knew it could (will) become a staple piece for the new career change wardrobe (my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!) 
The pattern - Simplicity 1325 my dear sewers' was sent to me by an angel..
I kid you not.. the highly gifted, talented and OOber kind  Annie Hanks  from The Enantiomer Project sent me not one, not two, but a wooping FIVE pattens back in the autumn;  Why? well apparently to make me smile!!! 
Smile...
the Cheshire cat got nothing on me; never thought I were capable of somersaults- but when these babies dropped through the mail box there were triple salchow's flying !! well in my head - a fair bit of mummy dancing! think that counts :)))) 
Here we go then - pattern review 

SIMPLE 
six pattern pieces, if you count pockets and facings
Check out that pattern matching between skirt and top! whoo 
I felt the need to bring Spring time into play, with a business trip planned to London last weekend- so this heavier weight cotton in pale green (the over exposed pics don't really do the colour justice), adorned with birds and Morceau sheet music fell perfectly for the job.  



The pattern isn't lined but has a front facing- me,  I just had to incorporate a lining throughout and used the most delicate of peach Georgette- well if a girl can't have luxury when she makes her own clothes.. none?
I was really pleased with the tiny winy rolled hem achieved. Normally these go askew - either eaten up or spat out by the roll hem foot! To over come this I ran a line of stitching (reduced in length) along the hem line and then another row 6mm away from the cut edge; these two rows seemed to stabilise the fine fabric when it was fed through that hook bit on the foot. When the over locked seams came close, I unhooked the rolled fabric and stitched slowly and carefully hand rolling across the seam, once past the seam the fabric was fed back through the rolled hook and off we went again; resulting in a very pleasing finish! 
                                                                           



The rest of the construction is seriously straight forward - joining shoulders, sides, popping in pockets and joining top to skirt and insertion if invisible zipper.

It's a great item to wear, it has that ability to be both dressy and casual; I have clear plans to make this again( and maybe again) in plain fabrics - I think even a firm ponte jersey knit would work well. 
I have have been really impressed with this pattern pack, having completed this and the skinny knit top twice here in the animal print and again a second time not yet blogged. 
I'm sure the jacket and trousers wont be too far behind.  

 I leave you with this strange out-take- little Wyatt was holding me to ransomed over taking the photos! Hmmm starting young in the bribery and corruption

Thanks for dropping by - What are you sewing for Spring?

Amanda Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment