Sunday, 11 May 2014

Blasted Butterick: Walkaway that nearly was!

Hello there, its been a little while...6 weeks of a streaming cold, eating my own body weight in painkillers and throat sweets (need to get back out running asap)  I'm now in the middle of my 2nd pk of antibiotics, and really hoping I can get back up to speed with life and more importantly  "Sewing". Although feeling so very low, I've not, not been sewing, just a bit slower and not arsed for blogging, photos are difficult enough without looking like a BSG...(A Big Snotty Giant!)
Well to business, one of the items I've been tackling is the Butterick 4790 wraparound walkaway dress- and I can assure you, I nearly did walk-away from this badboy. it seemed to take me quite a while to sew this one up there were a few trials and tribulations along the way! Apologies now-I seem to have gone  a bit OTT on the photo front- just so I could illustrate various points of wearing this dress.  

For a simple easy to sew pattern- this was one of those that makes you question your ability, whilst testing your sanity! Having sewn a couple of Buttericks', I went straight for the narrow back adjustment- the front bodice was another story. Luckily I'd just invested in some of this sewable tissue, if you've not tried it before its a MUST, just brilliant, wish I'd of found it earlier - a tad expensive but balancing it out a good fit and wasting fabric... rah rah rah it's an investment. It was on and off so much, Hubby thought I was sewing a see through white number!
Frankenstein Front 

Back alteration 

There are a fair few blogs on this pattern, anything from a must to don't bother!!!;  The latter obviously did not put me off as the beautiful design and simplistic lines blinked these negativities. I did however, take on board pointers from The Edelweiss sewalong and used the note on spreading/lengthening the side-seams and tapering of the front yolk.
Other alterations were the usual lengthening of the bodice by 1 inch, making the neckline lower by cutting a size 8! and moving the darts until I got the best possible fit! This was achieved by taking the stitching out of the toile darts and pinched out (or in) the excess bagginess until it fit! Not the most technical method but hey.. I'm still learning.  
This pattern is genius in its design, just 3 pattern pieces, with the front section being fitted and fastening at the back (I decided to add plackets at this point, with a button hole) the back section then wraps around to the front with a full circular skirt and fastens with beautiful button looped detail.  Oh and it has a lovely contrast bias on the edge- as you can see I went for a navy with white daisy feature..cute!
Front section that fastens at back

Back-wrap section fastening at front 

hopefully this shot make a bit more sense of how it's worn 
Now, don't get me wrong, this dress is simple in design and construction, but it does need endless fitting, on and off (like a lady of the nights' underwear!) 
Just to make matters worse/complicated, I had a right mishap with the overlocker... just as I was neatening up the waist seam, the excess material  from the skirt bunched up - a quick buhhrrr, followed by a blood curdling AAAGGGGRRRHHHHHH-the family came running thinking I'd put the needle through my finger or something!!! NOOOOOO worse than that - a hole in the bodice. There were TEARS, STOMPING, SWEAR WORD(s), BReath... I wonder - a rummage in the waste bin, pulled out an offcut and began pattern matching; a row of decorative twin needle stitching and voila- bloody marvelous - it looks like it was meant to be there and gives the front bodice a bit more stability that I'd toyed with. 

I am so pleased with the front detailing, right from the pattern matching of the overlocker mishap, the gorgeous self-covered button, each with a flower strategically centred, and them roule button loops- whooo giddy at the  sheer sight of them. 

Now to wearing this number...It has been slightly windy of late, and this poses a few problems when it comes to wearing a full skirt. The other problem, being made of cotton and unlined it has a tendency to rub-stick and ride up on itself and tights!
 like it is here...

More controlled here

Oh and the hospital gown bit of the fitted under section tends to find its way around the derriere, again resulting in some kinda rucking up. annoying, but I still do love the effect of the dress.   
Here it is in all its glorious (or not) movement!

Whooops.. CENSORED!!!
TADA..modesty all intact 
with the potential to flash

Overall, I think it turned out pretty well-if made again i would certainly line and make the back piece wider to cover the butt - even just to reduce embarrassing myself and those around me further hehehe. 
Many thanks for dropping by Happy sewing;  Amanda XXX